The Lemosho Route
Stunning Scenery with a high success rate
The Lemosho Route Overview
Due to its length, and the ascent and descent over the duration of each expedition the Lemosho Route offers the best chance to summit Uhuru Peak at 5.985m. This route is unspoilt, remote, beautiful and not so frequently used on the way up to Shira Plateau. It is one of the few routes where an armed ranger accompanies groups, as the bush around the Lemosho Glades is rich in buffalo and other big game and takes you in some of the most beautiful geological features on the mountain e.g. Shira Plateau, Lava Tower, Baranca Wall. Descent is via Mweka Route.
- Difficulty rating: +++
- Approximate length: 96km
- No. of Days: 7 or 8 (+2 nights accommodation in Hotel)
- Quiet route with wildlife & fantastic view on the Western Kilimanjaro
- Highest success rate because of best chances of acclimatization – ‘Climb High – Sleep Low’
- Ascent and descent via different routes
The Lemosho Route Day-to-Day Itinerary
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) and transfer to hotel
Upon your arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport you will be greeted by one of our team and then driven to your lodge in Arusha where you can freshen up and relax into Tanzania.
Todays hike is a long one. There are some steep stretches as you traverse around and over the lava flows that make up the outer flanks of the Shira crater. You'll leave the forest zone a short while out of the camp and enter the heathland with the giant heather trees and St John's wort bushes.. The vegetation thins out to moorland habitat at the crater rim. then a short descent followed by a fairly flat stroll to camp. The camp is on the western side of the Shira plateau. Late afternoons will often bring breath-taking first views of Kibo.
This is it ! It's the time to start the final ascent to Uhuru Peak ! It's a very, very early start. You'll begin your summit climb just after midnight. Crunching your way up the scree slopes of Kibo. It's a punishing slog but worth all the pain and effort. Possibly most amazing, sunrise you'll ever see will appear on the horizon behind Mawenzi. You'll probably be around Stella Point (5730m) at this time. It's time for a much needed breather before walking around the top of the crater rim finally reaching Uhuru. Take some time to enjoy the views of the crater and glaciers. Then you'll retrace your steps back to Barafu for breakfast and a rest. You'll then descend down to Millenium camp which will feel oxygen rich after the summit and enjoy a long nights sleep.
- Return airport transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your hotel
- Two nights bed and breakfast hotel accommodation
- An expedition briefing prior to leaving for the mountain
- Kilimanjaro park entry permits
- Kilimanjaro park camping permits
- Mountain rescue permit
- Helicopter evacuation registration fee
- Bilingual guides
- Expedition porters and cooks
- Expedition food to include a hot breakfast,packed lunch, a hot evening meal and snack food available at camp + hot drinks.
- Staff transport, meals & wages
- High quality sleeping tents, 2 persons per tent
- Mess tent with tables and chairs
- Private toilet
- Safety equipment to include short wave radios, a satellite phone, oxymeters, oxygen cylinder, large expedition first aid kit and means of evacuation.
- Uhuru or Stella Point certificate of achievement
What`s NOT Included?
- Return flights to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Entry Visa ($50 Europe/ $ 100 USA) can be obtained on entry
- Personal travel INSURANCE (specific to high altitude trekking and travel in rural Africa)
- Vaccinations for travel to region
The Lemosho Route 10 Day Trek Availability
|Lemosho 10 Day||09-Jan-18||18-Jan-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||20-Feb-18||01-Mar-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||12-Jun-18||21-Jun-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||26-Jun-18||05-Jul-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||10-Jul-18||19-Jul-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||07-Aug-18||16-Aug-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||21-Aug-18||30-Aug-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||04-Sep-18||13-Sep-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||14-Sep-18||23-Sep-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||18-Sep-18||27-Sep-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||02-Oct-18||11-Oct-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||16-Oct-18||25-Oct-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||04-Dec-18||13-Dec-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|
|Lemosho 10 Day||17-Dec-18||27-Dec-18||$ 2549||ENQUIRE NOW|