The Marangu Route
Accommodation in wooden huts
The Marangu Route Overview
The Marangu Route is one of the shortest and unlike any other route accommodation is in huts instead of tents. The reputation of being the easy way to the summit is not true and inexperienced trekkers should be aware that the route offers less of a chance to acclimatise than some of the so called harder routes.
The Marangu route begins at Marangu gate and ascends through forest to the Mandara Huts which are named after the fearsome Chagga chief of Moshi. Hut accommodation is in dormitory style and for those that have an aversion to camping the huts offer the best option to trekking on Kilimanjaro.
The Marangu Route ascends through moorland to Horombo Huts where two nights are spent for acclimatisation reasons. The Marangu route then ascends to Kibo Hut through alpine desert and the last water point on the route. From Kibo Hut the route ascends to Uhuru Peak via Gilman’s Point. Descent of the mountain is a re-trace of the route with another night spent at Horombo Hut.
- Difficulty rating: ++
- Approximate length: 64km
- of Days: 5 or 6 (+2 nights accommodation in Hotel)
- Only route on Mt. Kilimanjaro which offers accommodation in huts
- Shortest route to the summit – unfortunately lower success rate
- Ascent and descent on the same route
The Marangu Route Day-to-Day Itinerary
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) and transfer to hotel
Upon your arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport you will be greeted by one of our team and then driven to your lodge in Arusha where you can freshen up and relax into Tanzania.
If your time in Africa ends today our transfer team will drive you back to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your departure. If you have booked with KCC for a safari or a few days to dissolve into the pristine sandy beaches and tropical waters of Zanzibar, we will be there to help you comfortably transition from your climb into your next Tanzanian adventure.
- Return airport transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your hotel
- Two nights bed and breakfast hotel accommodation
- An expedition briefing prior to leaving for the mountain
- Kilimanjaro park entry permits
- Kilimanjaro park camping permits
- Mountain rescue permit
- Helicopter evacuation registration fee
- Bilingual guides
- Expedition porters and cooks
- Expedition food to include a hot breakfast,packed lunch, a hot evening meal and snack food available at camp + hot drinks.
- Staff transport, meals & wages
- Accomodation in wooden huts
- Mess tent with tables and chairs
- Safety equipment to include short wave radios, a satellite phone, oxymeters, oxygen cylinder, large expedition first aid kit and means of evacuation.
- Uhuru or Stella Point certificate of achievement
What`s NOT Included?
- Return flights to/from Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Entry Visa ($50 Europe/ $ 100 USA) can be obtained on entry
- Personal travel INSURANCE (specific to high altitude trekking and travel in rural Africa)
- Vaccinations for travel to region